Saturday, May 25, 2013

On the road again: Balticon, day 3


Work kept me up late enough that I didn't get to sleep until the wee hours, so I was happy to be able to sleep late today.  After a quick shower, I headed off to lead the Baen Traveling Roadshow, an event I encourage you to attend whenever it appears at a con near you.  In this 80-minute panel, we gave away free books, talked about how Baen works, looked at slides of nifty pieces of original art and the covers built around them, and heard from Baen author Chuck Gannon and cover designer Jennie Faries, who made the presentation happen. 

I had a bit of a break next, so I grabbed a nutritious (not) hot dog lunch, walked the art show, toured the dealers' room, and generally checked out the con.

As it turned out, the con had scheduled me to be part of a group reading with two other authors, neither of whom write anything like what I do.  We decided to take turns reading and to listen to each other, so I enjoyed a bit of a novelette the author intended to go to Analog, where her first two stories and appeared, and then a chapter of a YA quest novel, which the author said was the fourth (I think) in her series.  I read a romantic chapter of No Going Back.  The combination of our pieces worked surprisingly well, and no one in the audience seemed bored at any time.

After a couple of hours of work, I headed over to Kyle's to eat some delicious Indian food and watch the UFC PPV.  The card proved to be way better than either of us had expected, the food was also better than usual (and usual is pretty darn good), and the evening was low-key fun.

Now, I'm going to crash.


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive