Friday, April 12, 2013

St. Mark's redux, more Venice, new city


Only in Venice can you witness a gondola traffic jam!

As always, click on an image to see a larger version.

I can't get over how easy it is to encounter yet another old church or a strange piece of solitary art here.  Like this lovely little building.


Or this little alcove.


Of course, sometimes the magic of Venice is modern magic.


Okay, that's not magic; it just cracked me up.  I wonder if this designer offers the equivalent for men.

A bookbinding shop saved me a lot of money by being closed.  Consider this lovely volume.


Or these two.


I would love to have been able to see if the bindings went over the bindings of the first editions, which these were, or replaced the originals. 

The tour of the upper levels and the outer balcony of St. Mark's were closed when I was first there, but today it was open.  Getting to see a few of the mosaics up close was wonderful.


The view of the cathedral's interior from on high also didn't suck.


Nor did the views of the neighboring bell tower or the two squares.




After a bit more exploring and some pretty tasty gelato, the next stop was an expensive but fun ride in a water taxi to the airport.  A fairly short plane flight and a twenty-minute taxi ride later, and I'm now in a new city.

Clues?

Here's a typical view (not of my hotel).


Not enough, you say?  Does this help?


Or this tasty treat from the above?


No?  How about this clear giveaway?


Yes, I'm in Vienna, where I'm staying at another fabulous hotel.  This one comes with an amazing luxury:  the best bandwidth I've encountered in any hotel in years.  It's a wonderful treat.

An even bigger treat, though, now awaits me:  sleep.


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive