Sunday, November 4, 2012

On the road again: World Fantasy Con, Toronto, day 5

The big con event of the day was the World Fantasy Awards banquet, which I attended. 

I discussed with others whether the food here was the worst of any WFC banquet, and our final consensus was that no, it was not:  it was equally as mediocre-verging-on-bad as all the recent rest.  I was hungry, and the conversation was pleasant, so I ate it, but I did myself no favors by doing so. 

The awards ceremony was, on the other hand, a well-executed affair.  Toastmaster Gary K. Wolfe gave a funny and sometimes pointed opening speech that I thoroughly enjoyed.  He then handed out the awards efficiently and with grace, calling on a few folks to help him along the way.  I was particularly pleased to see Tim Powers' The Bicycle Repairman and Other Stories win for Best Collection.  If you don't know his work, you should; it is consistently marvelous. 

I spent more time socializing at this con than at most, though admittedly mostly with the same relatively small group of friends.  Still, that is an improvement for me. 

Tomorrow, I head home!


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive