Wednesday, February 17, 2010

1,000 posts

Yesterday's entry was the thousandth I've posted on this blog. That's got to be some kind of milestone. I'm just not sure what kind.

On the one hand, it's proof of a lesson I learn over and over in life: if you keep doing something every day, eventually you end up having done a ton of it. Kinda obvious, huh? Yet it never seems to be. At one point, Bill and I had published over a thousand (later, it became 1,500) by-lined pieces of tech journalism, and someone asked us how we did it. All we could reply was, "We wrote an article, repeated, and let time pass."

On the other hand, I could view this blog as proof that I can indeed maintain a journal of sorts, because I've never previously done that. I really didn't think I could journal, much less do it in public.

If I had a third hand, I could cite a benefit of this blog: education. I've learned a lot about the realities of blogging from doing this. Here's the most important lesson: the vast majority of blogs have very few readers. I was discussing this very topic at TEDActive with a person from a large software company. This person's job was to run some blogs. Most months, the readership was very low. This blog's readership is many hundreds of people a month, but not thousands (would that it were!). So, my books vastly outsell my free blog.

Though I periodically consider closing down this blog, I'm going to keep doing it. I'm not honestly sure why; maybe just so I can see what it's like when I hit 2,000 posts.

In any case, you're stuck with me (or not, of course; you don't have to visit). Tomorrow, I'll return to more normal posts.

In the meantime, please enjoy "Bad Timing," a bittersweet Blue Rodeo song with Jim Cuddy crooning about a love that hasn't quite made it.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive