Friday, December 19, 2008

Handwritten notes

When I was growing up, my mother taught me that many situations required a handwritten note. Someone gives you a gift, you write them a note. You want to invite people to a fancy party, you write them all invitations. If you can't attend said party, you send your regrets in a handwritten note. You do so with the best pen you have on the best paper you can afford, ideally notes printed for this very purpose.

Almost none of these situations ever applied to our life. We received almost no gifts from anyone outside our immediate family. We were poor and did not throw fancy parties, nor did anyone invite us to them. Our pens were cheap, as was our paper.

The lesson, though, stuck with me, and at some level I still believe it. That's the reason that I am personally writing well over two hundred thank-you notes to my company's clients. The notes are brief, and my handwriting is awful, but they are handwritten, and that seems to me, given my mother's training, to make them both more personal and somehow better. After all, I email people all day long, but I rarely write notes.

I wonder, though, whether this belief is a passing fancy, a notion lost on generations younger than mine, or at least on the children of generations younger than mine. I certainly rarely bother to handwrite, even when I have topics of great import to cover. Email is my medium.

I do, though, appreciate the rare handwritten note I receive, and I suppose for that reason if for no other I shall keep writing these cards to demonstrate, in this small way, how truly thankful I am to our clients for their business.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so with you on that! for invitations, i've switched to evite (technology does have its advantages), but i'm a firm believer in hand-written thank-you notes - for anything from gifts to hosting us to making my day a little brighter.

and i don't think it's a dying art, either. a hand-written note says two things: the message carried in the text, and the greater message that the recipient is important enough for the sender to spend the time with paper and pen. now that email is so easy and ubiquitous, i think the second message is even more significant than ever...

- lisa

Maria said...

People will not remember what you said, but will remember the way you made them feel--and a handwritten thank you note is still a wonderful and thoughtful thing to send!

Labels

Blog Archive