Thursday, September 18, 2008

On the road again: Portland, day 3 -- something different

Most of today was like most trip days: work. I'll spare you the work details, as I usually do.

Dinner was at a mediterranean tapas-style restaurant, Olea. We sampled sardines a gratin, a chickpea salad, three different cheeses, a sausage sampler, and the pate plate, and everything was good, though no single dish blew us away. The desserts, though bad for my fat self, were also yummy. It's not up to Le Pigeon or the other best-of-Portland restaurants we've tried, but it's well worth a visit if you're in the area.

The event that made today a bit different from other days was the videotaping at Intel in Hillsboro. Intel runs a site, the Intel Software Network, dedicated to helping software developers. That site includes multiple communities, and as part of the material in those communities Intel often includes short video interviews on subjects of interest to the community members. (To locate and view samples, check out this list of the videos by category.) The videos feature conference presentations, Intel staffers, and what they called "industry thought leaders." It was in that lofty last category, as well as in my capacity as an SF writer, that they interviewed me today.

The original goal was one five-minute piece on multicore computing, but if you tell me I can talk all I want and get me started, I can go a long time--even when I'm trying to be good. So, we ended up shooting about half an hour (I think; I didn't time it) of material on a variety of topics. They'll edit the pieces and ultimately post them on the above site. If you spot me on one of them, please let me know; I'll do the same if I hear from anyone that I'm out there yapping.

Having said all that, I have to note that before you devote the five to eight minutes necessary to watch me yak on one point or another, you'd be better off re-watching Tina Fey absolutely nail her Sarah Palin impression on SNL. Yeah, you've already seen it, but a rerun wouldn't hurt--and I know I'd rather watch that piece than this old, fat guy any day.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive